Monday, October 2, 2017

Delivering the News


I have been toying around with the idea of writing daily posts to celebrate Down syndrome Awareness Month for a while. It has been hard for me to sit down and write one post per month, so the thought of doing 31 of them is a bit overwhelming!  I decided that I will share something every day, but it may not be a blog post.  I may just post a picture or a little snippet on Facebook or Instagram.  This morning, on the second day of the month, I was already at a loss.  What do I share!?  Then I came across something that shocked me and I was immediately inspired.

I follow several Down syndrome groups on Facebook, one of which is the Down syndrome Diagnosis Network.  This morning they posted the following:  In a 2011 study, only 11% of parents who received a prenatal Ds diagnosis reported a positive experience with their doctor.

Doctors across America are the ones delivering life changing news to parents, and the way they handle that delivery can shape the parents' feelings and even save lives.  Many parents know nothing about Down syndrome when they receive their diagnosis.  They rely on their doctor to provide them with information and guidance.  When the first thing your doctor says after delivering the news is about terminating the pregnancy, that is the first impression of Down syndrome: not worthy of life.

I feel incredibly fortunate that I am one of the 11% who had a positive experience.  My OBGYN, Dr. Ribaudo, was wonderful.  She was always straight forward with the medical information, but was also supportive emotionally.  She respected our decision to forgo an amniocentesis because it wouldn't change the way we proceeded with my pregnancy.  She always asked how I was doing, mentally as well as physically.  She made sure we were in touch with local Down syndrome support groups.  She kept a positive outlook on Matthew's life, even when other doctors were grim.  I will be forever grateful that our first moments with a Down syndrome diagnosis were positive.

Imagine the difference it would make if every Down syndrome diagnosis was followed with a positive response.  If every doctor said "I know this is not the news you were hoping for, but children with Down syndrome today live very happy and productive lives."  It is a moment in time that every parent will remember for the rest of their lives.  In the midst of heartache and uncertainty, a positive outlook can make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment